How to Duet a Video On TikTok
TikTok is home to endless collaboration opportunities across its 1.1 billion monthly active users. One of the most efficient ways to collaborate with followers and peers is to leverage TikTok Duets — a feature that allows you to create side-by-side videos with other creators of TikTok.
#Duet remains one of the top hashtags on TikTok in 2023, amassing 3 trillion views total at the time of this publication. Beyond this, 43% of TikTok users have uploaded a duet, making it one of the most popular engagement options that’s available in-platform
Below, we’re discussing everything you need to know about how to Duet a video on TikTok and how you can use Duets to grow your following and overall brand awareness online. This, along with our other guide about how to make a slideshow on TikTok using photos, is designed to help creators at all levels reach their highest potential yet. Read on to learn more about how to Duet a video and how you can get started today.
What Is a Duet on TikTok?
Before we answer the question, “How do you Duet a video on TikTok?” We first have to define what a Duet is.
A Duet is a TikTok editing option that allows creators to play content side-by-side. Beyond generic commentary, other uses for Duets include:
- Product reviews
- Arguments or debates
- Voice over content and narration
- Viral challenges and trends
- Reaction videos (verbal or non-verbal)
- Reshares of previously posted content
- Fan engagement
TikTok Duet vs Stitch Videos
While similar, Duets are different from a Stitch, which instead plays the first clip of content in sequence before the second clip. Duets are a popular way for creators to offer commentary to original posters (or OPs), while Stitches are more commonly used for commentary or reaction purposes only.
Steps for How to Duet a Video on TikTok
Learning how to Duet a video on TikTok is a simple skill that can have major payoffs later. Here’s how to Duet a video in just a few simple steps.
- In the TikTok app, find a video you want to Duet. You’ll want to pick an option that’s engaging and relevant to your viewers.
- Click the Share button on the right side of the screen.
- Tap Duet. It’s located in the bottom row of icons.
- Choose a Duet layout from the pop-up of options.
- Tap the record button to create your Duet.
- Tap the check mark once you’re done.
- Edit your Duet as you see fit. This is a great time to add in stickers of text overlays that make your content engaging.
- Tap Next.
- Add a caption. It’s best to keep these short and sweet, using keywords for searchability in TikTok’s algorithm.
- Tap Post.
1. Choose Which TikTok Video You Want to Duet
When you’re learning how to duet a video on TikTok, it’s important to remember to choose engaging content. Your viewers want to be immediately hooked from the first second of your video, so you’ll want to pick vibrant, well-produced, and immediately engaging content.
Scroll through your feed and select which TikTok video you want to Duet. Be sure to check and see that you actually can Duet the video based on the user’s privacy settings before progressing further.
2. Select a TikTok Duet Layout
Once you’ve selected your video to Duet, you’ll be taken to the native video editor. From there, you can choose from four predetermined TikTok Duet layouts:
- Left and right
- Top and bottom
Experiment and determine which one works best for your content.
3. Add a Filter for Your Video
At the time of this publication, TikTok adds whatever effects or filters were used in the original video to your Duet. However, you can easily remove them if you don’t want them. To remove an effect, tap on Effects in the bottom left-hand corner of the editing display. Then, select from TikTok’s effects library and edit as you see fit.
You can do the same for filters by going to the right-hand side of the screen and tapping on filters to edit.
4. Record Your TikTok Duet
After you pre-set your filters and effects for your content, it’s time to film. You can shoot your Duet all in one take or splice different clips in seconds using TikTok’s native video editor.
5. Edit Your Duet Video
Now, it’s time to edit your Duet. There are no “rules” for editing. However, edits made with the customer in mind are most effective. Some examples of this include relevant stickers, caption text overlays, or narrative voice over.
Voice over is a great way to infuse some personality into your Duets. However, the TikTok native editor has limited voice over features that vary in quality and don’t feature the high-quality audio ducking and support that MixVoice does. If you want to enhance your content’s production, film, add voice over, and save your Duet video, use MixVoice voice over app.
6. Write a Caption for Your Post
Once your Duet is done, it’s time to consider a caption. TikTok functions similarly to a search engine, using keywords to put optimized, personalized content in front of its users. As you write, be sure to place keywords at the front of your caption in a natural, conversational way. You can also benefit from using them in the audio you add (if any).
It’s also best to keep captions short and sweet, allowing your viewers to immediately read and digest your content.
7. Edit TikTok Duet Video Settings
Now, it’s time to edit your TikTok Duet settings. To get to the settings area, complete your edits and click the check mark on the bottom right-hand side as if you were to publish your content. Once you reach the next window, click More Options — the second option from the bottom of your native display.
In this panel, you can slide-toggle your comment, Duet, Stitch, and sticker settings to personalize your content and share your authentic experience. You can also enjoy more advanced settings, allowing you to label AI-generated content (if applicable), save the video to your device, or post the video as a template.
8. Publish Your TikTok Duet
It’s time to publish your Duet. You can choose to post immediately by clicking the red Post button at the bottom right of your screen. Or, you can choose to save your content as a draft for later by tapping Drafts at the bottom left of your screen. The choice is yours.
How to Duet a Video for TikTok Using AI & MixOver
An AI camera app like MixOver will streamline your Duet and publishing process — offering you an entirely new, advanced way to shoot immersive and engaging content.
MixOver is the only camera app powered by AI that allows you to magically do this “crossover” without any editing — making it the perfect choice for those looking for a stress-free content creation experience. While TikTok’s native editing window and Duet feature require that you “stay in your box” for formatting purposes, MixOver breaks the mold, placing you in-window with the creator you’re Duetting with.
These videos are unique and more advanced than the normal run-of-the-mill content you find on TikTok, instantly establishing your brand presence and authority as a creator.
There’s just one question left: How do you Duet a video on TikTok using MixOver?
We’ve got you covered. Here’s how you can use MixOver to take your Duets to the next level.
- Download your Duet clip or stationary image.
- Open the MixOver app and review the native in-app tutorial.
- Choose your layout for your MixOver. There are plenty of options to choose from, including:
- Portrait 50 split
- Portrait 35 split
- Landscape 40 split
- Landscape 50 split
- Square 50 split
- Grant camera and microphone access if you haven’t already.
- Select the Duet clip or stationary imagery you downloaded by clicking the Photo icon on the bottom left side of the display.
- Use the in-app trim bar to trim the content if necessary. Then, reposition it as you see fit by following on-screen prompts.
- Record your reaction or original content.
- Click Save and Share at the bottom of the editing display. Then, share to any listed platform, including Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Messages or your own camera roll.