How to Hire a Video Editor for YouTube
In the world of YouTube content creation, video quality and production value can make or break your channel's success. While some creators are adept at editing their own videos, others rely on knowing how to find a video editor to elevate their content to the next level.
Today, we’re discussing factors that determine when and how to hire a video editor for YouTube, the pros and cons of hiring a freelance video editor versus doing it yourself, as well as what to look for when hiring a video editor. Before you hand over the reins, be sure to explore all options for getting the final product you want.
Do I Need a Video Editor?
Before finding out how to hire a video editor for YouTube content, the question content creators are asking themselves is, “Do I need a video editor?” The choice isn’t one-size-fits-all. It hinges on several factors that are unique to your channel, your goals, and your personal video editing capabilities.
Some signs that it’s time to consider how to hire a video editor for your YouTube channel are:
- Overwhelmed by tasks: Struggling to balance your YouTube content creation with the demands of video editing is an indication that you need a video editor. Juggling both roles is a challenge and can lead to burnout.
- Lack of editing skills: Not everyone possesses advanced video editing skills. If your video editing skills are limiting the quality of your content, then it’s time to learn how to hire a video editor for YouTube content that optimizes your media performance.
- Time management: Learning how to keep video production cost low doesn’t mean cutting out essential contributors. Managing video editing can be time-consuming, especially if you're trying to maintain a consistent upload schedule. That time can cost money when you’re monetizing YouTube content or working directly with sponsors. Knowing how to find a video editor will streamline your content production process while elevating media quality.
- Channel growth goals: Content creators want to expand and grow their YouTube channel which makes video editing vital for overall performance and channel growth. High-quality video content will attract new subscribers and keep existing ones engaged, as viewers are unlikely to continue viewing poor-quality media.
- More creative focus: Knowing when and how to hire a video editor for YouTube gives creators more time to focus on the creative side of production. This also helps streamline other aspects of the creation process like writing voice over scripts for short form content and perfecting prompts for AI generated scripts to keep things moving at a faster cadence and save money in the long run.
Assessing your own capabilities, goals, and the demands of your channel can guide you in determining when and how to hire a video editor for YouTube content.
TL;DR On Hiring a Video Editor vs Doing It Yourself
Part of how to hire a video editor for YouTube includes knowing whether or not it’s better to continue doing the job yourself. Each approach has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on your specific circumstances and preferences.
Some pros and cons of hiring a video editor vs doing it yourself are:
Hiring a Video Editor
- Professional quality: Video editors bring a level of expertise and finesse to your content, resulting in a polished, professional look that can attract a wider audience to your channel.
- Time saved: Outsourcing your YouTube video editing allows you to focus more on content creation, expanding your channel, and engaging with your audience. It’s also faster than doing the job yourself if you don’t possess the skills. It also leaves you more time for how to promote YouTube videos you’ve published.
- Expertise: Experienced editors can enhance your videos with advanced techniques, special effects, and storytelling elements that you might not achieve on your own. If you’re creating content that needs heavy editing, outsourcing the work may be the best choice.
- Cost: Hiring a professional video editor can be expensive, particularly for content creators with limited budgets. Rates vary, and quality editing often comes at a premium.
- Creative control: When you work with an editor, you may need to relinquish some creative control. The final product might not always align perfectly with your vision.
- Finding the right video editor: It can take time and effort to learn how to find a video editor who understands your style, preferences, and goals.
Editing YouTube Content Yourself
- Cost efficiency: Editing your YouTube videos could save you money since you don't need to pay someone to complete the task if you’re capable of doing it on your own.
- Full creative control: You have complete control over every aspect of your content, ensuring it aligns perfectly with your vision.
- Flexibility: You can edit at your own pace, make instant changes, and experiment with different editing styles without relying on others or waiting on turnaround time for edit requests you’ve sent to your editor.
- Time-consuming: Learning to edit and consistently produce high-quality videos can be time-intensive, especially for beginners.
- Learning curve: Video editing software can be complicated, and it may take a while to become proficient, potentially affecting the quality of your early content.
- Burnout: Balancing content creation and editing can lead to burnout, impacting both your creativity and productivity.
Ultimately, the decision between learning how to hire a video editor for YouTube content and doing it yourself should align with your goals, budget, and available time. Some creators prefer to start with DIY editing and transition to professional editing as their channel grows, while others prioritize quality from the outset by working with an experienced video editor right away.
What To Look For When Hiring a Video Editor
When searching for the right video editor to enhance your YouTube content, it's essential to find a professional who aligns with your goals and style. You don’t want to make an investment for editing that results in a final product that doesn’t match up with your vision. More than just their qualifications, consider things like your communication styles and if their previous work matches the tone of your content.
Some qualifications to look for when learning how to hire a video editor for YouTube content are:
- Editing software proficiency
- Communication skills
- Efficient turnaround time
- Previous work examples
When you’re determining how to find a video editor for your content, you may also see if they have any references or reviews you can see. Some freelance sites might have public profiles you can view to read any feedback from previous clients.
Additionally, you should ask any potential video editor you hire about their proficiency in incorporating video accessibility into their process. You may be able to avoid the additional expense of hiring a video editor for a while by using a powerful third-party video captions app like MixCaptions or voice over app like MixVoice to boost the accessibility of your media. The low, fixed monthly cost of using these tools may prove to be more cost-efficient for your needs while still streamlining production.
How to Find a Video Editor
If you were asking yourself, “Do I need a video editor?” and decided you do, then now it’s time to figure out how to find a video editor that meshes with your content style. There are many sites online devoted to hiring freelance video editors to do the work for you. The question is, which one is right for you?
Some of the major places you might look for how to find a video editor for YouTube content are:
One of the most popular freelancer sites around, Upwork has options to hire freelancers for any task you need, including video editing. One of the benefits of Upwork is you can check the portfolio of potential video editors and their ratings, as well as view any feedback from previous clients who hired them. These descriptions also include what the project was, which gives you more insight into whether or not they’re a fit for you.
ProductionHub is a leading site for media production jobs today and makes how to hire a video editor for YouTube super simple. Listing for small businesses and freelance video editors provides a bio of their experience and abilities as well as a brief list of previous clients and their skill set.
Another well-known site for hiring freelancers is Fiverr. This site is full of freelance video editors with clear rates, reviews, and profiles listing their capabilities. Sites like Upwork and Fiverr make it exceptionally easy to get reviews from previous projects, making them ideal for many content creators who want to ensure they’re making a good choice.
Named for the oldest city in Holland, Viedit is a site specializing in connecting filmmakers and content creators from around the world. Per their website, “Viedit only showcases professional’s portfolios containing movies that have been uploaded on their YouTube or Vimeo channels.” This makes it an easy choice for content creators looking for the best of the best.
Being able to check out a professional portfolio is crucial when learning how to hire a video editor for your media.
A gig site focused exclusively on video production, Videopixie has thousands of professionals whether you need an individual video editor, a lean 2-3 person team, or even a high-end video production studio as you continue to grow your channel. Unlike some other sites, Videopixie allows you to post your job for free and start receiving submissions.
In the competitive world of content creation, knowing when and how to hire a video editor for YouTube is a strategic move to elevate your content and grow your channel. By carefully evaluating your needs and resources, you can make an informed choice that helps you reach your goals and expand your viewership.